It's released!

The forum for the forthcoming Lockheed A-12, Mach 3+ father of the SR-71, YF-12, M-21/D-21.

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin

DBushell
It's released!

Post by DBushell » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:00 am

It's finally been released. Currently available on Simmarket but will also be available on Just flight, PC Aviator and FS Pilotshop today.

Enjoy. Go easy on me with technical support as I also have a day job and cannot respond until I am home!

jpatt1000

Re: It's released!

Post by jpatt1000 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:43 pm

Thanks! Just in time for my birthday on Sunday! I think it's time for me to upgrade my graphics card because it doesn't look as good in my sim as it does in your pictures! (And I need two more video ports to run two more 60" screens) I did notice that the RPM gauges redline at 75% while the sim thinks it's 100%. I figured a gauge error so I was going to swap it the SR-71 units, but they operate the same way and I just never noticed. The TEB activates at 70% throttle position which has the burners engage (which are set at 99.5% N2 in the CAB file) but the gauge itself only reads 75%. Is there something I'm not getting about the engine operation or is there actually a gauge issue no one ever brought up? Other than that, flies great and one can get an idea why it earned the name Lead Sled. Now, off to read the manual to figure out inlet spike operation and then a M3 flight attempt! :D

DBushell

Post by DBushell » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:35 am

Hi,

I believe there is a bit in the manual about that, but not at home to check. The flight model is a customised version of the SR flight model with changes in aircraft weights. Did you know these aircraft produced 80% of their thrust from the inlets at Mach 3?

Incredible machines. I use a GTX970 I think it is if that helps. Some of the screenshots were taken in Prepr3d with its different interior shadows and shaders.

David.

jpatt1000

Post by jpatt1000 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:39 pm

Thanks for the graphics card info. I still haven't rambled through the manual yet. My Spridget was throwing a tantrum last night so I had to deal with that. Yeah, the J-58 was a beast. I do know at speed a lot of the intake air was routed around the compressor/turbine directly into the tail pipe pretty much like a ramjet. I think I remember reading that it was more efficient at speed as well, but not sure on that. The air museum in McMinnville Oregon has an SR-71 with one wing tip/engine cover open exposing the engine. If you're ever in the states I highly recommend it!

DBushell

Post by DBushell » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:39 am

From the real pilots manual:

"Military and afterburning engine speeds are the same and are automatically scheduled by the fuel control as a function of Compressor Inlet Temperature. The normal schedule is shown by figure 5-2. Engine overspeed above 7450 RPM requires a visual inspection of the turbine. Notify the engine manufacturer if 7550 RPM is ever exceeded. Each instance of overspeeding should be reported as an engine discrepancy and should include the maximum RPM attained".

Basically the amount of thrust produced is determined by the amount of fuel squirted into the afterburner, not engine RPM.

Hope that helps.

jpatt1000

Post by jpatt1000 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Okay, thanks for clearing that up D. It does fly very smooth. PHTO to KSAN in a little over an hour! I read that someone was having an issue with the inlet door gauge and you confirmed it was a bug. I'll just need to redownload from FS Pilotshop and reinstall once you update, correct?

DBushell

Post by DBushell » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:56 am

Hi,

Yes that's correct.

The update won't be for a couple of weeks, I want to try to get the D-21/M-12 version ready.

I'll make an announcement here when it's available!

David.

jpatt1000

Post by jpatt1000 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:33 pm

Oh cool! Can't wait to see it as a combo.