A-12 VC panel disappearing

Have a technical question about the Lockheed A-12? Ask here!

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin

gorma
A-12 VC panel disappearing

Post by gorma » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Hello!

Downloaded the new update for the A-12 today.
I've experienced some problems with the VC main panel. It disappears after a little while - then continues to flicker on and off (one minute on - ten Seconds off, Three minutes on - 40 Seconds off and so on).

Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Gorm

lmeirose

Re: A-12 VC panel disappearing

Post by lmeirose » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi David and Crew:

I can attest to Gorm's problem as well. I was in the process of conducting a couple of flights in the A-12 and the M-21/D-21 from Beale to Mildenhall. I experienced the same intermittent "flickering" as well. It usually occurs on takeoff on the initial climb-out. However, about halfway through both flights, the VC panel completely vanished, leaving just open sky. I tried to cycle through the different views to reload it, but no luck. Interestingly, though, when I pan down or sideways using my joystick "hat" key (or the moving my mouse pressing ctrl+spacebar), the controls will briefly reappear, but will immediately disappear when I try to look directly "forward".

I tried implementing two of the three following fixes described by the following forums, but no luck so far (I'm concerned I'll irrevocably mess up my video and sound cards in the process - trying to "minimize trauma" if possible!!):

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/2354 ... isappears/

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/4030 ... l-cockpit/

https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index. ... -fix-here/

If it helps, I am running FSX Gold Edition on Windows 10 64-bit OS.

Thanks very much for all your hard work and help!!

-Leo
Last edited by lmeirose on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

lmeirose

Post by lmeirose » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:57 pm

Update: "Fixes" did not work.

lmeirose

Post by lmeirose » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:00 am

Update: Also, the scenario where the vc panel disappears and fails to reappear happens during nighttime flights.

DBushell

Post by DBushell » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for your patience.

Sorry to hear about the problems, may I ask that you both respond to the following questions:

1. Did you uninstall the original aircraft before installing the V1.1 aircraft? If not please uninstall completely and try again.

2. What graphics cards are you using?

3. How soon do you experience the issue from the point the plane loads?

4. Is it possible to still view the exterior of the plane when the cockpit has gone?

5. Does changing camera view to cockpit/ VC make a difference?

6. Is it a particular model variant or tail number or all?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:25 pm

Good news from a technical perspective, I get the same.

What is strange that in the hours of testing I did over the last month, this issue was not present, so it must be something to do with either:

1. The installer
2. A rogue texture issue with the panel
3. Something else to do with compiling.

Will continue to test and as soon as I have found the fix, I will sort this.

Again, please accept my sincere apologies, I obviously do not intend to release a product with a bug, and trust me I want it fixed as much as you do ;)

lmeirose

Post by lmeirose » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi David:

Thanks very much for your quick response! To answer your questions:

1. Yes. I completely uninstalled V1 before installing V1.1. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling V1.1 when I first encountered the problem. Did not solve the problem.

2. I am running FSX Gold Edition from a Dell Inspiron 5767 laptop with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS. The machine uses Intel (R) HD Graphics 620 and Radeon (TM) R7 M445 graphics cards.

3. From the point the plane loads, the problem occurs approximately 4 1/2 minutes into the session (though this includes prep time for setting the fuel, autopilot, etc.); it always happens when the aircraft is airborne (never
on the ground). Sometimes the panel re-appears after a few seconds, but other times it remains "off" and does not return for the duration of the flight.

4. Yes. Even when the VC panel disappears, it is still possible to view all exterior textures of the aircraft. They are completely unaffected.

5. No. I tried cycling through the views (using the "s" and "a" keys); I also re-loaded the aircraft (using Ctrl+Shift+R key combination). No luck.

6. Unfortunately, I tested all variants and all have the issue, not just one particular model variant or tail number.

Thanks again for your all hard work and help. If you need any additional information, please let me know.

-Leo

DBushell

Post by DBushell » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi Leo,

Please can you email me support [at] glowingheat.co.uk

If you wouldn't mind testing a new exterior mdl file. I believe I have found the problem - it's related to my use of a tool to reset the bounding box used to centralise the aircraft in the FSX menu.

If that is the fix, then I will update the installers in the shops!

EDIT: Just to add that I have just complete a 1900 mile flight across the US at Mach 3.25 and not had the issue repeat, so I am reasonably confident that I have managed to find the issue ;)

Thanks,

David.

DBushell

Post by DBushell » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi Gorm and Leo,

I have just emailed you both with a link to download replacement exterior mdl files. The exterior mdls replace the existing - just navigate to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Glowingheat A-12 Cygnus and Glowingheat M-21 Tagboard folders, go into the model folder in each and paste the file in there, replacing the original.

Same for the M-21 'Tagboard'.

Let me know if that fixes the issue - it seems to have worked here.

David.

lmeirose

Post by lmeirose » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:53 pm

Thanks very much, David!! I'll let you know how it goes. *crosses fingers* Thanks again for the help!!