Air Restart?

Have a technical question about the Lockheed A-12? Ask here!

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin

freqimann
Air Restart?

Post by freqimann » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:25 am

encountered several compressor stalls in my first flights tonight. i was never able to successfully restart any stalled engines. the manual stipulates that the restart switches should be on and a stable alpha must be obtained. i dropped 40k feet all the way to landing on last attempt varying the pitch dramatically with switches on, no effect. unsure what else to do in these situations. any help would be appreciated.

DBushell

Re: Air Restart?

Post by DBushell » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Hi,

Which sim are you using, I'll take a look.

The restart switches in real life basically reset the engine spikes to an appropriate position, but I took some artistic licence and used the switches to restart the engines - in real life the process was much more convoluted. Its the equivalent of Ctrl e to start the engines, so until I can get to the bottom of this, I'd suggest that way! The easiest way to avoid the compressor stalls is to perform the 'dipsy-doodle' maneuver which involves climbing to the low 30's, pitching over, accelerating through the sound barrier to capture 450 KEAS which you can then ride all the way to 60-70k then reduce your rate of climb all the way to Mach 3 and beyond. I find that using the popup autopilot is the best way to maintain these parameters - it's not that its not impossible to hand fly, but it takes a lot of concentration and in real life pilots would've used the autopilot while monitoring the instruments for anomalies with occasionally hand flying to keep proficient!!

What is particularly interesting when comparing the cockpit of the SR-71 and the earlier faster A-12 is that the A-12 cockpit has no Centre of Gravity gauge to tell you how you're doing fuel wise, only a switch to move the CG forwards - which comes in handy if you've dumped lots of fuel.

David.

freqimann

Post by freqimann » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:53 am

I’m using FSX:SE

ctrl E sounds like a solution. Do i need to throttle back to restart?

Getting up wasn’t a problem. I did that fine. I think i was overzealous in my decent.

DBushell

Post by DBushell » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:04 pm

freqimann wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:53 am
I’m using FSX:SE

ctrl E sounds like a solution. Do i need to throttle back to restart?

Getting up wasn’t a problem. I did that fine. I think i was overzealous in my decent.
I would suggest throttling back when restarting because the extra yaw moment could cause the other engine to stall. Keep an eye on the TEB counter too - if that reaches zero it's a long flight home - if you make it!