Minor Tweaks for the FSX model

Got the FSX native B-58 Hustler? Ask questions here!

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin

stormILM
Minor Tweaks for the FSX model

Post by stormILM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:30 pm

Hello David & New B-58 Customers. Having several years experience with the original FS9 B-58(Alphasim) and porting it to FSX, I had made some minor tweaks for that model which affect the performance and handling to the better IMO which can be utilized on the new FSX B-58. Regarding the FDE, what I changed was the Ground Effect setting so that the model would settle on the runway without floating or bouncing on landing. Still, you MUST apply prescribed approach speeds and proper AoA(Angle of Attack) to be able to effect a good landing. The rest of the changes I made are in the aircraft config file which include changes to the Afterburner Threshold(which affects the point in Throttle movement when the Afterburner kicks in), added a Flight Tuning section with changes to the drag(to ease excessive acceleration), cruise lift scalar, and elevator trim effectiveness. In general, all of these changes are minor but have a positive effect on the handling but still maintain some of the difficult handling of the aircraft. Regarding the cruise lift scalar, some may prefer to lower the number from 2.0 to 1.5 or even 1.0 to reduce lift and increase low speed sink rates but I'd urge careful adjustment of that parameter. Anyhow, give this a shot and see what you guys think:
B-58 FDE_Config_Tweaks.zip
(9.46KiB)Downloaded 539 times

stormILM

Re: Minor Tweaks for the FSX model

Post by stormILM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:31 pm

BTW, the files can be dropped in but make sure to back up the originals first!

stormILM

Post by stormILM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:41 pm

Sorry guys, I just realized I made a small goof on the fuel consumption part of the config file. The original values of both the non-afterburning and afterburning specific consumption are 1.3 but for purposes of cruise consumption, I set the non-afterburning setting to 1.0 and the afterburning setting to 0.7. Just set the afterburning setting to 1.3 and the other to 1.0 or you can simply copy & paste the entire below section(replacing it):

[TurbineEngineData]
fuel_flow_gain=0.006
inlet_area=7.5
rated_N2_rpm=7460.000
static_thrust=15600.000
afterburner_available= 1
afterburner_throttle_threshold = 0.95//<--Reset from 0.00
reverser_available= 0.000
ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 1.0
AfterBurnThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 1.3

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:53 pm

Thank you very much for making these tweaks available.

DarrickNol

Post by DarrickNol » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:48 pm

fsafreanek wrote:Thank you very much for making these tweaks Trenorol available here.
Thanks for the tweaks!