B-58 Heading Indicator

Got the FSX native B-58 Hustler? Ask questions here!

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin

sambarrick
B-58 Heading Indicator

Post by sambarrick » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:26 pm

I may be missing something, but it appears that the heading indicator (#10 Centre Panel) is not fully functional. On my rig, the heading bug works fine but neither the pointer nor the distance indicator work when I tune in a VORTAC or ILS with dme. The pointer also does not point to a basic VOR station --it remains parked at all times on a heading of 020. I saw that the radio panel includes an ADF but the pointer will not respond to that either.

The course indicator and glide slope work as advertised.

If I'm right, I wonder if a fix might be done without too much trouble. The guage itself is very well done, and such functionality would bring it in line with the capabilities of the original aircraft.

DBushell

Re: B-58 Heading Indicator

Post by DBushell » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:08 am

I'll take a look at that, please bear with me, it's been some time since I have looked at the source code.

DBushell

Post by DBushell » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:45 am

Hi,

I've just taken a look at the source code and the pilots manual (real life version), and in reality the needle in that gauge was a TACAN bearing pointer. In my source code since I have no TACAN available to use in FSX (I believe other builders emulate this) I have linked it to GPS so it should point to the next GPS waypoint. The distance indicator reads off distance to next VOR, or distance to next GPS waypoint, and the heading bug I've used to set the heading hold on the autopilot since there is no where else to set it in the front cockpit.

That's probably not the answer you want to hear, but I do not know how or have available resources to emulate a fully functioning TACAN for FSX.

Kind regards,

David.

sambarrick

Post by sambarrick » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks for the reply. I did not realize the pointer was mapped to the GPS. For whatever it is worth, it seems that the heading bug on the real airplane was used as a reminder and was not hooked into the autopilot. Per the flight manual, with the autopilot engaged the pilot used control wheel steering to establish a heading (after checking with the navigator) and threw the switch to "constant" to maintain the heading.

Happy holidays to you.
Sam Barrick