B-58 Sound

Got the FSX native B-58 Hustler? Ask questions here!

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin

skipph1
B-58 Sound

Post by skipph1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:08 pm

Hello David, Love the new FSX model and all the repaints that are coming around on SOH. Thanks for renewing this bird for FSX. I have always had a beef with the sound package both in FS9 and X with the tower and flyby views. Not until recently have I taken up the challenge of getting to know the ins and outs of a sound config which included buying a version of FSSS. As I was in the learning curve and experimenting I made an observation about my particular sound system. I usually would listen as I simmed on external speakers in the 5.1 surround mode. When I was experimenting with the sound files I plugged my headphones into the front headphone jack on my computer to get up close and personal with the sound and lo and behold, the original sound file for the B-58 Came alive in the flyby and tower view. So I owe you a big apology for saying the sound file was inadequate.
However, during my experimenting I added some FSX sound cone info into a experimental config and what I came up with was even better in the tower view and flyby view. The afterburners really sound alive and other sounds have come along also. I am not saying this file is perfect in every way, or that I am an expert, but every time the beast roars by the tower or flyby view, I get a big grin on my face. I would like you to try this file, if you please, and give me a critique when you have the time. I would pm it to you. Thanks for reading, Skip
p.s. I had to confiq my listening devices in the computer to 5.1 including the front computer jack to get full effect, stereo config for whatever reason is not adequate.

DBushell

Re: B-58 Sound

Post by DBushell » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:17 pm

Hi Skip,

Sure, feel free to pm me. I find sounds in FS to be a bit of a mystery hence sticking to the original sounds. I find that even with 4 speakers and a sub woofer, ie 2 speakers for front noise and 2 for rear with a sub woofer providing the more bass like noises that it's tough to get the speakers in the right positions to make the sound right.

Best regards,

David.

skipph1

Post by skipph1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi David, That is exactly as you described the problem I am having with my 5.1 external speaker setup. Until I plugged directly into the front computer headphone jack, did I hear a stark difference in sound tracks. I am probably correct in saying not every one's computer has a front panel jack. And also keep in mind that the speaker configuration is very important that it is in the 5.1 mode even though you might still be listening with headphones. Stereo does not cut it. I will pm the file. Skip

skipph1

Post by skipph1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:04 pm

David, If you only have 2 front and 2 rear speakers with the sub, then you will never hear the engines in outside views. You need the center speaker that carries 98% of the sound in the spot , flyby and tower views. The inside views differ, the center has almost no function except for gear, warning sounds etc. which are all to loud imho. The front left and right in a 5.1 inside view seems to have the wind sound and that is still loud at -10db on my internal eq. The left and right rear can bring in more engine sounds to the cockpit.
Once again this is just my system with some "fly by the seat of my pants" testing. I am not saying that you could not confiqure your system with the 4 speakers, I just happen to have the 5.1 and I have finally fiqured it out for the B-58. You might be able to optimize a 4.1 to bring out the "beast" in the sound file also. Skip
p.s. The front left and right speakers in the outside views were very "dirty". Did not matter as long as the center speaker works.

skipph1

Post by skipph1 » Sat May 03, 2014 5:02 pm

HI David, Did you get a chance to try the sound config I sent you? I have been waiting for your response. Skip Ciman

DBushell

Post by DBushell » Mon May 05, 2014 9:20 am

Hi Skip, will take a look this week. Have been taking a bit of a break from using FSX.

skipph1

Post by skipph1 » Mon May 26, 2014 3:50 pm

David, With your permission, I would like to share my sound config with others on the SOH library. I was hoping you would have a listen to the config I made and give me a yea or nay. I will send you another copy if need be. Skip

DBushell

Post by DBushell » Sat May 31, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi Skip,

I believe I replied to your message. You can share the file if you like. My only comments were that the interior sound seemed a little too loud, but then I have never flown in the cockpit of a 60's jet bomber!

Best regards,

David.

PS. Apologies for not replying sooner, I've been on holiday.

bubba620

Post by bubba620 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:36 pm

I just want to say that WOW! I love what you did with the cfg to change the sound. Thank you Skip, Brian :D

skipph1

Post by skipph1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:34 pm

Thank you Bubba for the kind words. Could I ask you for your sound setup? What are your listening parameters? Tnx, Skip