Prepar3D: Fuel leakage effects and TEB limitation

Technical support for the FSX version. Don't forget to check the manual included in the package first before seeking advice.

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin

af120835
Prepar3D: Fuel leakage effects and TEB limitation

Post by af120835 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:02 pm

First I'd like to say what an amazing upgrade to the original FSX version! The cockpit is stunning and I can see a lot of hard work has gone into this.

Couple of questions:

It's mentioned on JustFlight that there are effects for fuel tank leakage. I've not seen it yet, is there anything I need to do in particular? I'm flying sub-sonic, but not topped up the tanks.

Also is there a manual on how to use XML Tools to limit the TEB counter?

Finally, if I'm taking off from a really dense population, the frame rate takes quite a hit. Other than dropping quality settings is there anything in the aircraft config that could improve things? I'm not sure what causes the frame rate to drop. Even if I fly with just the cockpit (not virtual) so nothing is showing the frame rate is still quite low compared with other aircraft from the P3D library. I guess this has something to do with the PBR? As a side note this only occurs when I'm low and slow, which isn't very often, so I'm not too worried as it's not where and how I'm supposed to be :-). (I know I need a new system, I don't have the time yet!)

THanks

Andy
Prepar3D V 5 (5.3.17.28160)

DBushell

Re: Prepar3D: Fuel leakage effects and TEB limitation

Post by DBushell » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:49 pm

Hi Andy,

Apologies for the slow reply.

The fuel leakage effects are shown when the aircraft is topped off in flight - above and below the fuselage at some angles you'll see fuel streaks.

With regards to the TEB being limited, you'll need to install XML tools.

You can download that here: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resou ... 8/download

You can read a bit about it here: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resou ... r-fsx.148/

Once installed, TEB is limited to 16 shots per engine - after that its a slow flight home :D

With regards to the FPS drop, it may be because the new product includes the RSO cockpit and additional gauges. PBR textures are only there on the P3D version as FSX doesn't support them. Some of the textures are large at 4096 x 4096 - you could theoretically halve them, but would lose some clarity.

Hope that helps.

David.

af120835

Re: Prepar3D: Fuel leakage effects and TEB limitation

Post by af120835 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:23 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for replying, yup, got everything fixed now!

I didn't know the xml tools thing just 'worked', I thought something needed tweaking given the name of the app. I spotted it on Orbx a week or two ago and downloaded it as I knew I needed it but didn't notice it did anything until on a sortie a few days ago. After I climbed and went supersonic, I initiated a climb and noticed something was off when at FL400 instead of accelerating, speed dropped off and I fell out of the sky. :lol: Sure enough the TEB was depleted and I had no AB.

I've managed to get a good frame rate out by spending a lot of time optimising some settings. I've kept the texture at 4096 as I read somewhere that the sim downscales (which can degrade performance), but doesn't upscale.

It's been a case of removing stuff I don't see when I fly (buildings and a lot of autogen stuff etc) and that's help massively. So all looks gorgeous in the cockpit, and not so fancy outside when I'm low down, which isn't for long.

I've saved two graphics profiles: one for the SR-71 and another for other stuff so can chop and change quickly. One day I'll get round to building a snazzy PC that can hack it all, but for now what I have got will do. It still looks good and flies great.

Andy