Scenery design for Flight Simulator series from Team SDB

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin, mickeyd

Duckie
USS Enterprise Missing File Errors [Resolved]

Post by Duckie » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:59 pm

Purchased from PC Aviator 12/15/15
Order ID No. 167997

Hello,

As stated above just purchased CVN-65 and having problems getting the Advanced Features to work in FSX A. I have read the PDF doc that came with the model, as well as searched these forums for a fix. It seams this has happened to a few others and I have tried the fixes stated in these threads. I also downloaded the carrier.xml file that Frank offered back in July(?), all to NO JOY. I have tried to install the panel and config mods to 2 aircraft; the Milviz F-4S_J and the default FA_18, both with the same result of getting 7 separate sound gauge errors. See the attached screen shot. I have also searched for the called for sound files but they do not exist in the normal places, ie, FSX main sound folder or main gauge folder. Oh, and I have uninstalled / reinstalled 2 times with same result. Aside form the advanced feature problem the carrier works and looks great.

Would appreciate some help getting this to work. Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Steve
-2015-dec-17-008.jpg
-2015-dec-17-008.jpg (154.24KiB)Viewed 7233 times

fsafranek

Re: USS Enterprise Missing File Errors

Post by fsafranek » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:20 am

The Enterprise should always try to use English language LSO voice files. The ones mentioned in your screen shots are the French language ones included in the RFN TACAN gauge.

For the FSX A and FSX-SE installations the English language files used are those from the Missions. The mission sound files are located here: FSX/Missions/Military/CarrierPractice/Sound/*filename*.wav

In the default Enterprise installation a file named "carrier.xml", located in the /Gauges folder, controls what LSO language each ship uses as well as where the voice files are located. The Enterprise package uses version 3.0 of the RFN TACAN gauge. The current version of the gauge is 4.2 and some files have changed. For example the LSO language is controlled for each ship in a file named "Gauges/RFN_Carrier.xml" and the voice file location is controlled in a file named "Gauges/RFN_Parameters.xml". The current version is fully compatible with the Enterprise but it is possible you have installed both in the panel file of an aircraft so there is a conflict. But that still doesn't explain why it is calling for French langauge LSO voice files unless you have edited the "carrier.xml" or "RFN_Carrier.xml" files or they are corrupted.

Based on what I've said here have a look at what you have in these files. I'm traveling for the next week so will not be able to look at my own files to compare with what you have but I will have access to this forum to see what you have reported.

If you find under the Enterprise sections (there are four ships) of "Gauges/carrier.xml" or "Gauges/RFN_Carrier.xml" that is shows "Language="FR" change it to Language="US". You can view and edit the xml file using Notepad.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:09 pm

Thank you Frank. I've not made any panel cfg or gauge mods to either of the 2 aircraft I've tried to use except for the ones outlined in the Enterprise manual. In the main gauges folder both files you noted are present, "RFN_CarrierGauge.dll" dated 6/28/12, and "Carrier.xml" dated 9/15/15.

In the carrier.xml file there were mixed US and FR language designations, US for the American carriers, and FR for all other carriers and land based runways. There were also 2 sets of LSO dialog, one in US and one in FR. Note: all of the dialog for CVN-65 were designated as US language, so I edited nothing.

Be safe and have a Merry Christmas,

Steve

=================================================================================================

EDIT: Frank, there is no xml file called "Gauges/RFN_Carrier.xml" in the gauges folder. As said above there is a file "RFN_CarrierGauge.dll" dated 6/28/12.

In the Missions/Military/CarrierPractice/sound folder there are 33 wav files all named "CarrierPrectice_01.wav" and numbered 01 thru 33.
Last edited by Duckie on Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:04 pm

BUMP?????

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:55 am

Back from Colorado.

I've just re-read the entire thread and based on what I have said and you have replied, there is no way that it should be wanting to use French language LSO calls.

I guess the next question is what version of the ship are you landing on -- early 1980's or late 1980's -- and is the deck populated or empty? Each was assigned its own frequency and when tuned correctly you will see a message in yellow text on green at the top of the screen indicating what ship. Change the frequency and then go back to have it displayed again.

Are you using the ship with AI Carriers and if so what part of the world are you flying in (wondering if there is a French base nearby that somehow has the similar TACAN frequency and might be tuned in -- again verify Enterprise in the text at the top of the screen). Or if using the Saved Flights we provided, which one?

If it sounds like I grasping at straws it's because I am. We haven't had this issue before and it should not happen straight out of the box. Based on the two frequencies for each version below (when RFN TACAN v4 or later is installed) it is possible that you are actually tuned to a land base with French language LSO. For example in the original package TACAN 115.00 was the Enterprise 1982 cruise. To add more ships and land bases in RFN TACAN v4 that frequency was reassigned to Yeovilton, an English Naval base (which still shouldn't use French language LSO). The other original frequencies were reassigned to US Naval bases using US language LSO.

USS Enterprise CVN65 (82-83 cruise)
Default SDB Frequency="115.00"
RFN_TACAN v4 Frequency="110.50"
Language="US"

USS Enterprise CVN65 (82-83 cruise) Empty Deck
Default SDB Frequency="115.50"
RFN_TACAN v4 Frequency="110.55"
Language="US"

USS Enterprise CVN65 (88-89 cruise)
Default SDB Frequency="116.00"
RFN_TACAN v4 Frequency="110.60"
Language="US"

USS Enterprise CVN65 (88-89 cruise) Empty Deck
Default SDB Frequency="116.50"
RFN_TACAN v4 Frequency="110.65"
Language="US"

Maybe I need to have someone from RFN read this thread?

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:38 pm

Frank,

I have tried the saved flight but my sim literally goes crazy, it flashes several views of the aircraft then goes into slide show mode then freezes. Only tried this once.

What I do now is start at Oceana NAS (KTNU) and follow the directions in the manual to the carrier (70* for 35 miles) and I can find the carrier visually every time. When I come aboard it is the late 80's full deck version.

I have now modified the Virtavia A-6E with the mods as described in the manual with same results. When I boot in to the sim, into the default flight, go to KTNU then select the A-6, I get all 9 error messages still looking for the French language files. I have to delete each message then the sim will boot into the A-6 at KNTU. When I go to tune the NAV radio freq., for each freq. increment I again get the 9 error messages that must be deleted to continue. I have tried setting the NAV coms to use both ways, NAV 1 or NAV 2, and I have tried using all the standard frequencies, 115.00, 115.50, 116.00, and 116.50, and no combination works to get the message bar across the top of the screen noting the carrier, or the LSO voice commands.

Oh, if I am in full screen mode when I select the A-6 the sim crashes. What I mean is, the aircraft will not load, the screen remains black but the sound is till active. I have to do the 3 finger thing to get out of that condition. This happens with only the aircraft that I have modded for the CVN-65. If I am in windowed mode the sim will continue to work but gives the error messages which have to be deleted to continue. This situation occurs ONLY with the aircraft modified for CVN-65 ops.

I have looked at the carrier.xml file and it lists the above frequencies. This is the file that was loaded by CVN-65 and matches the file you also posted in an earlier thread, which I compared. I have not installed any RFN apps previously. I downloaded and unzipped the latest RFN app, since you mentioned it, just to view the files and compare them to what is in my sim. None of the newer files is present.

Thanks,
Steve

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:16 am

Sent you a PM asking for copies of some files.

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:39 am

Steve (Duckie) and I emailed directly for a couple of days as we worked further on solving the problem. We didn't come up with a specific cause but we were able to eliminate some possible causes and come up with workarounds. From his last email:
Testing is done and the setup is finished. In its current state it is working as advertised. Carrier config, IFLOLS, and LSO callouts are all good.

Testing results.

- your modded file with deleted French language files works. I tested it as requested. What you did is actually suggested in the RFN_4.2 manual with a slight difference in that it suggests changing all "FR" calls to "US".

- I never got the LSO or IFLOLS working using the CVN65 files. However, as stated above, your fix for the 9 FR language file errors did work. By eliminating these files the error went away.

- I installed the RFN_4.2 full version, as you recommended, and everything now works.
Glad to hear things are working in the end and that the product is being enjoyed.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:12 pm

Thank you, Frank, for all the help. I have to say that this experience has been one of the most helpful experiences I have ever had on line.

With support like this how can you not like their products. :D :D

Love the Big E and looking forward to the next boat, whenever and whatever that might be!

Steve