Static Halifaxes at Snaith Texture Problem [Resolved]

Scenery design for Flight Simulator series from Team SDB

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin, mickeyd

dickb
Static Halifaxes at Snaith Texture Problem [Resolved]

Post by dickb » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi there - I just bought and installed your Silloth and Snaith (sounds like a firm of lawyers !) The airfield scenery is terrific as always, but I have a problem with the static Halifax models at Snaith. As you approach them, the textures go all haywire, even partly transparent (see screenshot) before settling down as you get closer. The AI models don't do this, nor do the static models at Silloth (which you should consider releasing as an addon library BTW).

How it should look:

I'm guessing it's some kind of LOD-related issue. Or It may be something to do with my system. I'm running FSX SP2 on W7 Home 64 bit. All settings pretty much maxed out, but pretty smooth generally.

Any help appreciated !

mickeyd

Re: Static Halifaxes at Snaith Texture Problem

Post by mickeyd » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:52 pm

Sounds to me as if the graphics card CPU is struggling a little. As you say you are "maxed out". Try reducing say the Autogen and run simple clouds for a start. That should reduce the load.

dickb

Post by dickb » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:59 am

Well, it is a rather old card now (GTX580), and I'm sure it is working quite hard, but I'm not sure that is the problem. When I say I have all settings maxed out, that's a bit misleading. I do run the scenery and autogen settings at max, but on the other hand I don't fly complex a/c, I have all roads, railways etc disabled in my scenery (gives a more WWII look), and all regular road, GA and airline traffic is disabled. The only traffic is my own WW2 AI, which is relatively light in FSX terms. I do use complex clouds, but basically everything is smooth and I have no scenery problems beyond the usual autogen popping. And I don't really want to compromise my overall experience to accommodate specific scenery !

All that said, I did do some testing along the lines that you suggest. I cranked the autogen settings all the way down. And far from improving the situation, it seemed to make things worse. With the setting at Normal or above, the Halifaxes break up as I approach as in the pix, but then display correctly when I get closer. With the autogen setting lower than Normal, they appear always incomplete and never display completely at all ! I also notice other scenery objects (e.g. bomb trailer and tractor) breaking up and displaying incomplete at lower autogen settings.

As mentioned above, the AI models seem to be fine. The static a/c at Silloth are fine. And I also have your Dambusters Scampton scenery with static Lancasters that seem OK too. It seems to be just the Halifaxes that present the problem.

EDIT: Forgot to include my order details: FlightSimStore #460312

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:51 am

dickb,
I've sent you a PM with a link to a new version to try out.
I was able to reproduce the issue and this fixes it.
If it works for you we'll upload it to the resellers.

dickb

Post by dickb » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:33 am

Thanks Frank - that's great news. I will give it a try and report back.

dickb

Post by dickb » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:37 am

Gave the new version a try, and it's much better. I see that you have replaced the static Halifax models with AI versions, which don't break up (and do cast shadows !) So that's good. The only problem with them is that they appear untextured in the distance. They were probably doing this in the previous version, and I didn't notice because I was distracted by the fragmented static models. This is a problem I have seen with many AI models that were originally designed for FS9, and I doubt there is much you can do about it. The unfortunate thing is that the default texture is light grey. If it were dark grey or black it wouldn't be so noticeable !

The other thing I should mention is that the bomb train and tractor models are still breaking up/disappearing in the same way that the static Halifaxes did, which is very distracting when taxiing past.

But overall much better. Thanks !