Big E MIssing Sound Files [Resolved]

Scenery design for Flight Simulator series from Team SDB

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin, mickeyd

fsafranek
Big E MIssing Sound Files [Resolved]

Post by fsafranek » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:23 am

This is the text from a series of emails about sound file issues with the Enterprise. The problem was resolved and some useful information that I want to preserve and reference came from it.
Customer wrote:I purchased the Big E Carrier package for FSX and ran the installer. After editing the A/C cfg file to add the advanced features the gauge cannot find the RFN gauge sound files. The error message says it is looking for the files in the FSX/Sounds/RFN directory which does not exist. The files are no where to be found. I assume they should have been installed?? I looked for the RFN Carrier gauge but the support page is no longer valid. I need the sounds files to support the RFN Carrier gauge that was installed and shown in the manual. I am disappointed that files are missing in a $25 payware package. Please provide the sound files or a copy of the original RFN gauge package. Thank you.

fsafranek

Re: Big E MIssing Sound Files

Post by fsafranek » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:26 am

Team SDB wrote:We're sorry you are experiencing problems and are looking into how your copy could be different from all but one of the others downloaded. Please visit the support forum and in particular this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=108. It includes a link to a file that should point you at the correct LSO voice files. This has cropped up only once before and is covered in that thread.

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:27 am

Customer wrote:Here are several points...
1) The post link you provided did not contain a link to the sound files...only a link to a carrier.xml file the individual posted which appears to be the same carrier.xml I have.
2) I looked at the carrier.xml...apparently your gauge looks in two locations for sound files when it loads...the US files exist in the default Military mission folders. The RFN sound file folder does not exist...it was not created during the install. I assume some the folder and files are missing, the gauge when initializing cannot find them and displays the missing file message for each.
3) Until the FR sound files are placed in the correct folder the errors will continue to occur when selecting a BIG E carrier.
4) If the link you expecting to be displayed was to the RFN site, it will not work as the RFN no longer exists.
So, the situation is still the same...no RFN gauge sound files. I still need a copy of the sound files or the original RFN gauge zip package that was available in the past.

The only other option I see is whether you can delete the FR carriers and FR sound section from the carrier.xml file to eliminate the errors?

One additional option to ask about...can I change the Language setting in all carriers to all “US”?

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:29 am

Team SDB wrote:Here is a link to the site. http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia.fr/. I must point out that the RFN gauge is not our responsibility nor did we develop it nor do we redistribute it ( it is Freeware) we merely point you to it if you want to use it. The Enterprise is developed to work with FSX/P3D which it does 100% without the gauge.

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:31 am

fsafranek wrote:Ah. I think I see what is going on here now. Because the RFN voice files (French language) are mentioned in the carrier.xml file the game is having a fit if the user doesn't have the RFN TACAN gauge also installed (or at least the sound files). I already do because I helped test the RFN TACAN gauge package and the guy who helped us make the ship was the developer of the RFN TACAN gauge.

Changing all ships to "US" language might not fix the problem but you are free to test that. It may indeed work. My system is so deeply entrenched with their files (I do the English user manual translations for their products) I probably wouldn't be able to reliably test it.

The other option is to install the RFN sound files so that even if not used at least they are present. To save you the trouble of separating them out from a full RFN TACAN Gauge install I have attached them. After you unzip the file you will have a folder named "RFN_Sounds" with 10 WAV sound files in it. Drop the "RFN_Sounds" folder into the "FSX\sound" folder.

We used a then new version 3.0 of the RFN gauge in the Enterprise package. The gauge has since been updated to version 4.2. They can in theory co-exist but I don't recall if I tried it or not. So it would be better to use these attached sound files. You can certainly go a step further and edit the carrier.xml file in Notepad to make all ships and land bases use "US" rather than "FR" language files.

Please let me know if this works and I'll update the support forum.

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:32 am

customer wrote:Thanks Frank....I an installing the latest version of the gauge package that I was just sent a link to..we’ll let you know how things go.

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:33 am

fsafranek wrote:Well, good luck with that. You're entering uncharted territory.

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:05 pm

Customer wrote:All is working...thanks