Adding Tailhook to a T-6 P3D V3

Scenery design for Flight Simulator series from Team SDB

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin, mickeyd

jjpamhawk
Adding Tailhook to a T-6 P3D V3

Post by jjpamhawk » Fri May 19, 2017 5:57 am

Adding a TailHook to a T-6 aircrafts P3D V3.4 I followed the instructions in the USS Enterprise P3D User Manual page 29, added the launch_assistance and tailhook lines to the 'aircraft.cfg file for the T-6 but the aircraft does not show or have a tialhook This is the default T-6 that comes with P3D. Am I missing some step or is editing aircraft.cfg all that is needed to install a tailhook? Please advise. Thank you, jjPamHawk

jpatt1000

Re: Adding Tailhook to a T-6 P3D V3

Post by jpatt1000 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:41 am

The tailhook has to be part of the actual model to be visible. By adding the tailhook entry to the aircraft.cfg file it will still be present and catch the wire though. I did the same thing to all my vintage naval jets from Virtavia by adding launch assistance where there was none. I can't see bridles or launch bars, but at least I can still get shot off of the deck.

DBushell

Post by DBushell » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:16 am

Might be worth looking in the P3D SDK at whether Lockheed changed anything in the aircraft.cfg set up. You might also want to post this question on the forums at sim-outhouse.com

I'm not sure of the answer myself, as far as I know it's just a aircraft.cfg entry and does not rely on a modelled part.

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:13 am

David pretty much answered it. For the tailhook to be visible there must be one built into the model you are flying. None of the aircraft in P3Dv3 have a physical tailhook. The F-35 in P3Dv4 does have one but that is the extent of the navalizing of that aircraft. And at the last minute Lockheed Martin decided to remove the T-6 from among the included aircraft.

So even if you add the necessary [Tailhook] and [Launch_assistance] sections to the aircraft.cfg file everything will work, you just might not be able to see it.
That can make it hard to keep track of whether or not you extended the tailhook. Only one way to find out. ;-)