Bien Hoa Air Base

Scenery design for Flight Simulator series from Team SDB

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin, mickeyd

koosvm
Bien Hoa Air Base

Post by koosvm » Fri May 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi,
I bought Bien Hoa AB version FSx,P3D,FSX:SE a few weeks ago but it seems to be in the wrong spot.
It seems that the location/coordinates of this air base are different than in the real world.

If I look up the location in Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bien_Hoa_Air_Base) then I got 10°58′37″N 106°49′06″E which brings me in Google Maps to 10.976944,106.818333, the exact location of the base. After installing I had two Bien Hoa air bases , so I did some investigation on your AF2_VVBH.bgl from 19-10-2008. This revealed that the coordinates used are
lat:10.839000084 and lon:106.892167032.
Which positions the air base to the south and a little to the east of Bien Hoa city.

Any thoughts about this anomaly?

Best Regards

Koos van Menen

PS.
I'm also using the Enterprise, Al Bumba North and the Saki Airbase (that russian name is way to difficult).

fsafranek

Re: Bien Hoa Air Base

Post by fsafranek » Tue May 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Just noticed this. Let me do some checking.

Using one of my geocaching tools that is over a 10 mile distance.

I'll have to find a copy (it's a very old product) and install it to see.

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Wed May 24, 2017 6:23 pm

Yes indeed. It is south of the town rather than north. This one was originally released back in 2005 when we were part of Alphasim.
Will put it on the list of products to be considered for an updating at some point.

In the meantime use the navaids rather than INS. "Trust your instruments."

koosvm

Post by koosvm » Wed May 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks for looking into the matter.
Will hope and wait for update.

pennkiwi

Post by pennkiwi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:36 pm

I would like to recommend that you give some serious thought to updating this scenery. I know it's an old product, but at this point it really shouldn't be sold as payware in its current state. Your newer sceneries have shown significant improvement while at the same time giving good performance. Bien Hoa looks like mediocre freeware and has poor performance. I'm not trying to be nasty - as I said, I know it's an old product. But if I was a first-time buyer of an SDB product and I purchased Bien Hoa I would be appalled and would never be a repeat customer. It needs to be updated or removed from your catalogue and perhaps released as freeware

Thanks for considering this
Ian

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:33 am

pennkiwi wrote:I would like to recommend that you give some serious thought to updating this scenery. I know it's an old product, but at this point it really shouldn't be sold as payware in its current state. Your newer sceneries have shown significant improvement while at the same time giving good performance. Bien Hoa looks like mediocre freeware and has poor performance. I'm not trying to be nasty - as I said, I know it's an old product. But if I was a first-time buyer of an SDB product and I purchased Bien Hoa I would be appalled and would never be a repeat customer. It needs to be updated or removed from your catalogue and perhaps released as freeware

Thanks for considering this
Ian
We appreciate your concern. As already started in one of the earlier posts in this thread, it is "on the list of products to be considered for an updating at some point."