Enterprise LSO voice missing, FLOLS GS not functioning

Scenery design for Flight Simulator series from Team SDB

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin, mickeyd

paulhartl
Enterprise LSO voice missing, FLOLS GS not functioning

Post by paulhartl » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:07 am

Hello SBD Enterprise Forum,

I recently purchased the SBD Enterprise from FSPilotShop and have installed it for FSX Acceleration per instructions. Much of it works perfectly, but I can't get the LSO voice calls to sound on approach, only the calls on which wire I catch (such as "Good trap, 2-wire") - which do work. I have installed it on 3 different computers, and I have followed the instructions for the panel.cfg file (for the F-18), and the radios instructions to the aircraft.cfg file, and I have the carriers and situation files all running. I have tried altering the gauges called for in the panel.cfg file as well as the radio frequencies, but I never hear the LSO approach commands no matter how I do it. I do get the banner across the top of the screen that tells me that the Enterprise has locked on.
Also, when I opt for the FLOLS carrier instead of the standard Enterprise option, the glideslope does not function - it is dark. Changing back to standard option, the glideslope works again.
I did try using headphones to hear the LSO as suggested on an earlier message on this forum, but to no avail.
Also, when I installed this package, which was downloaded from FSPilotShop, the installer calls itself "Replacement Enterprise Installer"
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks, Paul Hartl

fsafranek

Re: Enterprise LSO voice missing, FLOLS GS not functioning

Post by fsafranek » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:39 am

Hi Paul.

Which version of the ship are you loading (80's, 80's empty, 90's, 90's empty) and what Nav1 (or Nav2 if that is what you are using) frequency did you dial in? Asking this so I can try to replicate it. I know from your emails that you're using FSX Gold. When you have successfully tuned to the currently loaded carrier (doesn't matter if regular or FLOLS version is being used) a yellow on green message will appear across the top of the screen naming the carrier. Anything else (red text on green) means you are not tuned to that carrier. That will affect whether the FLOLS (for the FLOLS version) is visible or black. It also effects whether you hear the LSO sounds at all.

If tuned correctly the LSO sounds will work whether using the regular or FLOLS version. Since you are in an FA-18 it is possible that you are coming in too fast for the messages to be be triggered and only the wire message is heard. If you are outside of the trigger areas on approach you might not get messages either but you should get the red flashing waveoff lights. I fly a Cessna 172 for my tests so I'm coming in slow enough to trigger and hear all messages.

Perhaps the sound files were not installed correctly. Look under FSX/Sound/SDB_US/ and there should be nine (9) wav files named like those listed here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=153#p687

The gauge used in the Enterprise package for the Advanced features is the RFN Carrier gauge v3.0. Do you also have a newer version installed? If so, that might be the issue. For example, the RFN_CarrierGauge.dll file in the Enterprise package is 407 KB whereas the one in the recent v4.2 of the RFN Carrier gauge is 1746 KB. The Carrier.xml file in v3.0 has been split into two files by v4.2 but they are named differently so shouldn't be an issue. The DSD_Sound_Gauge.gau has not changed since the one used in v3.0 (still 129 KB). Since about v4.0 the four frequencies assigned to the Enterprise have been changed as well. But if everything is what was provided with the package then the frequencies in the manual still apply.

See if anything I've said here leads to any results. We can go from there. I just tested it here to verify things as I wrote this response and it works.

Ignore that "Replacement" installer filename. It is due to FS PilotShop not simply renaming the file to replace the previous version. What it does mean however is that you have the latest version.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:17 pm

Ignore that "Replacement" installer filename. It is due to FS PilotShop not simply renaming the file to replace the previous version. What it does mean however is that you have the latest version.
FS Pilotshop have now rectified the mistake. :)

paulhartl

Post by paulhartl » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:59 am

Thanks for your replies to my inquiry. I've been trouble-shooting a bit, and although I'm still experiencing the same problems, I have narrowed down the possibilities a bit. I installed Sylvain Parouty's TACAN Gauge (which now uses his RFN_CarrierGauge v. 4.3), and also Lamont Clark's "AI Carriers" and have both running. I followed installation procedures closely, and noted the changed frequencies for the Big E. The gauge shows up properly, and I can add carriers at will with the add-on drop-down, but unfortunately, no matter what frequency I dial in to the TACAN gauge, the carrier is not recognized by the gauge. This is true as well for Parouty's Charles deGaulle carrier, which I also downloaded. I have used the frequencies shown in the files, and after that, I went through pretty much every other frequencies possible, with no lock-on showing up on the gauge. Using the "GoTo" button always results in a message that no carrier or landing site is recognized. I've put in ver. 3 and ver. 4.3 of RFN_CarrierGauge to the same null result. Other things do work, such as the advanced catapult launch and carrier arrest features - just no LSO voice, and the TACAN gauge cannot find any carriers. When I go back to FSX Gold/Acceleration's carrier tutorials, I do get LSO voice such as "you're slow", or "move right", etc.. I looked for the new Big E LSO .wav files, and they're definitely loaded, and the landing ones such as "good trap, 2 wire" even sound when I land - but only these four. trap .wav's. My surmise is that something on all 3 of my computers is interfering with the recognition of the carriers, and thus I get no LSO because the carrier is not recognized - until the aircraft has trapped and is on the deck, maybe. A bit frustrating, this! But I really love the quality of the work that has gone into this package, and thus am willing to spend some time figuring out what's not working, in hopes of getting it fully functioning. Thanks again - great work!

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:36 pm

I have to go out for a bit but here are some GOTO spots I came up with for the Enterprise while testing/translating the RFN gauge manual.
Cope and paste into one of the Enterprise entries of the "\gauges\RFN_carrier.xml" file. If you like them paste them in all four ships entries.

Code: Select all

Target1_Name="Approaching Catapult #2"
Target1_Xcoord="-9.022"
Target1_Ycoord="20.048"
Target1_Zcoord="45.776"
Target1_Angle="1.3"
Target2_Name="Approaching Catapult #3"
Target2_Xcoord="-14.275"
Target2_Ycoord="20.048"
Target2_Zcoord="-59.127"
Target2_Angle="10.2"
Target3_Name="'Street' Parking Area"
Target3_Xcoord="7.236"
Target3_Ycoord="20.048"
Target3_Zcoord="12.241"
Target3_Angle="88.7"
I'll reread your response above when I get back.

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:09 am

I use AI Carriers myself all of the time. Once you have it set up and know how to add ships it gives you a lot of control in ship placement and movement.

Honestly, what I would do since you have v4.3 of the RFN gauge installed is to remove the v3.0 components we provided and use the more recent version.
It has a lot of new features and included the visual gauge. We'll be doing the same ourselves once Sylvain Parouty updates it to work in the 64-bit P3D v4.

By removing our v3.0 gauge components from the gauges folder, from the panel.cfg file, you should eliminate anything that would cause the gauge not
to work. I have run into the same problem myself and it is best to remove every thing of the one not being used so there is no conflict. The main offender
with be the RFN_CarrierGauge.dll file (407 KB in the Enterprise package versus 1746 KB in v4.2 of the RFN Carrier gauge).

Code: Select all

Ship                  RFN v3.0 frequency      RFN v4.3 frequency
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Early 80s             115.00 MHz  97 X        110.50 MHz 42X 
Early 80s Empty Deck  115.50 MHz  102 X       110.55 MHz 42Y 
Late 80s              116.00 MHz  107 X       110.60 MHz 43X 
Late 80s Empty Deck   116.50 MHz  112 X       110.65 MHz 43Y   
The v4.3 provides French language LSO sound files and uses the LSO voice files from the FSX-Acceleration carrier missions for English LSO voice files.
Because P3D doesn't include missions we made our own recordings and that is what you here in the Enterprise now by default.
If you switch completely to the v4.3 you will hear the FSX-Acceleration voice files. They are a little more enthusiastic sounding than my voice. ;-)

You might try adding the RFN gauge to something slow like the Cessna so you can hear the messages all the way in.

paulhartl

Post by paulhartl » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:12 am

Hi SBD Team,
Good news! In further troubleshooting I've found that I can finally lock on to a carrier with the RFN Gauge (v 4.3), but only if I first dial in and lock on to a nearby FCLP airstrip. After locking on to one of these, I can immediately lock on to a carrier by changing to the carrier's frequency. When I do, the FLOL system and the LSO voice work properly! I've tried two carriers, the Enterprise (at 110.5 Mhz) and the Charles de Gaulle (at 108.3 Mhz), and both can be locked on to by using this procedure. Also, I have found that if the situation is saved after lock-on, that it will be locked on when called up later, even if FSX has been closed down and restarted. All other features seem also to be working properly, including the advanced catapult! Progress!

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Glad to hear things have improved. Strange about having to tune to an FCLP first though. Could be it's happening by default and I've never noticed.
There are certainly a lot of frequencies used by the gauge now.

To not have to save the flight for things to work try this. If you have the frequency tuned but the gauge doesn't "see" the ship change the frequency to the standby frequency and then back.
Reactivating that frequency might make it work (wake it up).

If it does present a problem you could write to Sylvain Parouty who's email is in the documentation for the RFN gauge.
He built the ship for us and is the developer of the RFN TACAN Gauge.