Can't find the carrier

Scenery design for Flight Simulator series from Team SDB

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin, mickeyd

CaptHunt
Can't find the carrier

Post by CaptHunt » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:07 pm

I've had the Enterprise installed for a while. Recently I wanted to play around with it a bit, but I can't find it in any of the usual areas. I tried flying out to it's usual tracks and doing grid searches, but I couldn't spot the battlegroup. When I load the saved flights, the aircraft spawns in the ocean. I tried reinstalling the whole package, but haven't had any luck.

CaptHunt

Re: Can't find the carrier

Post by CaptHunt » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:38 am

ok, it looks like I solved the problem. AI ship traffic wasn't set high enough

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:14 am

As I read your post I was going to suggest checking out the traffic settings as you did. Glad you got it sorted out.

CaptHunt

Post by CaptHunt » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:41 am

Even with the AI settings at max, this thing is surprisingly hard to spot at any sort of range, I think I may have to up FSX's LoD settings too.

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:42 am

Have you installed the RFN gauge? It will provide a TACAN pointer right to the ship. Also shows the orientation of the ship (coming or going, moving left or right) and distance away. Very useful.

CaptHunt

Post by CaptHunt » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:37 am

I have the RFN installed, and I followed the instructions in the CVN-65 manual to install it in several aircraft, including the Acceleration Hornet, and I have the NAV 1 radio tuned to the right frequency, but it still doesn't seem to do anything. I even tried on one of the saved flights, to make sure I was already close enough to the ship.

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:07 am

Since you said it has been a while I'm guessing this is with the our first Enterprise package. Have you verified the traffic files are activated in Scenery Library?
Doing that will also ensure they are present in "Add-on Scenery/Team SDB USS Enterprise_East Coast" and "Team SDB USS Enterprise_West Coast" folders.
Otherwise they will not show unless you use something like AI Carriers (see Appendix A) to place them somewhere in front of you.
Also make sure under Settings->Traffic that "Ships and ferries" is set to at least 10%.

If you are using the RFN gauge make sure you are tuning the right frequencies. In the original we did not provide a visible gauge.
So if you downloaded the gauge from the RFN site please note the the frequencies have changed from what they were originally.
USS Enterprise CVN65 (82-83 cruise): was 115.00 MHz. Now use 110.50 MHz
USS Enterprise CVN65 (82-83 cruise) Empty Deck: was 115.50 MHz. Now use 110.55 MHz
USS Enterprise CVN65 (88-89 cruise): was 116.00 MHz. Now use 110.60 MHz
USS Enterprise CVN65 (88-89 cruise) Empty Deck: was 116.50 MHz. Now use 110.65 MHz

I'm going out of town for the weekend but will check here when I get back and see how it is working for you.

CaptHunt

Post by CaptHunt » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:18 am

hmm, ok, I tried both frequencies and still didn't get anything. I am pretty sure the TACAN is set right, because it picks up a local VOR, but I'm still getting nothing from the boat. Maybe I need to reinstall the RFN gauge.

EDIT: I installed V5 of the RFN gauge, and now it works as advertised.

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:31 am

Good to hear. V5 is the one included in the latest Enterprise version. We used v3 in the original Enterprise.

I know you'll like v5 much better with either Enterprise version.

When we can find the time we're going to repackage the original with the v5 gauge.