No FLOLS/LRLS

Scenery design for Flight Simulator series from Team SDB

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin, mickeyd

CaptHunt
Re: No FLOLS/LRLS

Post by CaptHunt » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:50 pm

Ok, I think I deleted everything from RFN, I want to make absolutely sure that I got it, but I don't have the installer for the v3 gauge handy to check, do you happen to have a list of the files in that version?

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:19 am

RFN Gauge v3.0 as used in the Enterprise consisted of these files:

Gauges\Carrier.xml
Gauges\RFN_CarrierGauge.dll

\Sound\SDB_US\call_the_ball.wav
\Sound\SDB_US\trap_four_wire.wav
\Sound\SDB_US\trap_one_wire.wav
\Sound\SDB_US\trap_three_wire.wav
\Sound\SDB_US\trap_two_wire.wav
\Sound\SDB_US\wave_off_repeat.wav
\Sound\SDB_US\youre_drifting.wav
\Sound\SDB_US\youre_high.wav
\Sound\SDB_US\youre_high.wav

None of them are used by the latest version (or in the same location) so it doesn't matter if they are there or not.

CaptHunt

Post by CaptHunt » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:52 am

hmm, I tried it again after removing the RFN gauge completely and installing directly from the RFN website, it seems to work intermittently. Occasionally I'll catch a flash from the ship's fantail that might be the LRLS, and occasionally I'll see the meatball on a pass, but then I won't see it even on the next pass. I've tried with both versions of the ship.

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:22 am

Just did some more testing.

Check your zoom up in the top right corner. Below 1.50 the LRLS is spotty. But once you zoom the view to 1.50 it will display. Try that. You should be able to see it from about 10 miles out down to 0.6 miles.
At about 2 miles out the landing zone lights will "pop" into view along with the FLOLS. The RFN FLOLS tends to appear bigger (wider) than it should be but gets better the closer you get.
The LRLS lights look pretty big in FSX. They are smaller in P3D. A difference in how the two sims work with lights and effects it seems.

CaptHunt

Post by CaptHunt » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:27 pm

that might be it, I typically fly with the camera zoomed all the way out so I can see the whole panel in the VC.

EDIT: Yes it worked! It was super disorienting flying with the view zoomed way in, but it worked.

CaptHunt

Post by CaptHunt » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:18 am

thanks for all the help. Since you're the resident expert on the RFN gauge though, I have another minor problem. I can't figure out how to change the TACAN channel on the modern style gauge. Clicking the tuning knob just seems to move the cursor on the screen. I'm lucky I have a Saitek radio panel, so I can dial in the NAV1 frequency manually. As far as I can tell the "Classic" Steam Gauge style version works fine.

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:31 pm

Page 14 of the RFN Gauge manual explains how it works in detail but I find it much easier to just use two buttons.
- Click the TUNE knob to highlight the part of the frequency to be changed and then turn the round knob using the mouse wheel.
- Click the frequency swap button (double arrow) to swap the changed frequency with the active one.
Change Frequency on RFN NG gauge.jpg
Change Frequency on RFN NG gauge.jpg (117.39KiB)Viewed 4168 times