CVN-FINAL CRUISES INSTALL PROBLEM

Scenery design for Flight Simulator series from Team SDB

Moderators:fsafranek, DBushell, admin, mickeyd

DIAPHUS
CVN-FINAL CRUISES INSTALL PROBLEM

Post by DIAPHUS » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:35 pm

I am using Windows 10. I purchased CVN-65 Final Cruises on 12/16/2020 from FlightSim.com, order no. 128871. The file name was “SDB-645-cvn-65-final-cruises.zip”.
I am using the Steam version of FSX. I am not using AI carriers (that I know of), no Java script.

I have combed threw your “Team SDB” web site on Glowheat.com. I found either no apparent solution to my problem or there was one and I did not understand it. While I enjoy flying the sim am not really that computer savvy.

In the initial download I downloaded to my local FlightSim “payware folder” in Downloads. I extracted it to that same folder, leaving both the zipped and unzipped folders in the same parent folder. I ran the installation from that extracted folder, carefully following the instructions in the “CVN-65 Final Cruises Manual” that came with the download. I installed using the path to the c:\Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX. At the very first instillation I did get the Windows challenge to the installation and I chose the run it anyway option.

I was able to find, install and enable “CVN_Final_Cruses_Traffic” scenery in “SETTINGS – SCENERY LIBRARY” as instructed. I restarted Flight Simulator and went to freeflight, however, there were no “CVN_Final_Cruses “shown in the free flight “load” menu so I do not know how to start it. While poking around I did find, under “CVN_Final_Cruses_Traffic” /Scenery, five .bgl files. I assumed them to be flight files. I did set all of my Graphic Settings to maximum, but still no joy. Also, nowhere could I find an adon pull down “menu mentioned in some of the other posts.

I also have the first CVN-65 version and have enjoyed it for several years. After the initial instillation problem with the new “CVN_Final_Cruses: I uninstalled both versions, using the uninstaller for each, and reinstalled “CVN_Final_Cruses_Traffic”- alone several times, thinking there may have been a conflict. Still no entries in the “Load” menu.
I reinstalled the original CVN-65 again so that I could use it while sorting this problem out. I noticed that with the older instillation that I had two installation pages, the second one which flights into the load menu. But with the “CVN_Final_Cruses “instillation I had only one instillation page, with no reference to creating flights. Could that be my problem or am I missing something? (Usually when something goes wrong I am fairly comfortable that it is due to something I did.)

I checked my security software to see if it was blocking any related file or app and not notifying me. I found no such instance.
Thanks for any help you can give.

fsafranek

Re: CVN-FINAL CRUISES INSTALL PROBLEM

Post by fsafranek » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:31 am

Thank you for purchasing the new version as well as the original.

In the Final Cruises version there are no Saved Flights as there were with the original. The five BGL files you mentioned under “Addon Scenery/CVN-65_Final_Cruises_Traffic/Scenery" are traffic files for the ships, not your aircraft.
There is one for NAS Oceana and four in the Persian Gulf. These are discussed on pages 15-19 of the User Notes. It sounds like you did activate them.

Because there are no Saved Flights, the new versions makes use of the enhanced features of the RFN Carrier Gauge. This allow you to find the carrier using the RFN gauge as before by tuning to the assigned frequency (page 8) but also to place your aircraft on the deck in one of four locations. Installation of the gauge is described on pages 10 and 11. Be sue to use the 32-bit version for FSX.

To get the drop down menu to control some aspects of the ships you need to activate the DLL file as described on pages 12-14.

The gauge can also be used for the original Enterprise. But the frequencies have been reassigned.
See this thread for the new frequencies: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=393

Try all of this and let me know how it goes. We can eliminate the issues one by one.

DIAPHUS

Post by DIAPHUS » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:55 pm

Wow ! That was quick.
Thank you very much. As usual, as Pogo said -" We has met the enemy and they is us."
When I have a problem it is usually me stuck in some sort of loop- read the damn instructions!

DIAPHUS

Post by DIAPHUS » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:02 am

Thank you very much !
It all went well. Some of the manual file paths led to FSX not steam on my system, but once I realized I could just go to the file directly it all went smoothly.
I just had not made the leap from Flight simulator as usual to the more versatile platform that you all have created.
Thanks again a lot for the help. I can now crash into the carrier with much more precision.
Best, Mike

fsafranek

Post by fsafranek » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:06 am

Glad to hear you sorted it out. As I mentioned you can use the newer version of the RFN gauge (just use those new frequencies)
included in the Final Voyages package with the original version to add some more features.